Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sightseeing in Kolkata: Victoria Memorial and Mother Teresa's House

On my second day in Kolkata (4/14), I decided to go see one of the city's most famous landmarks, Victoria Memorial. Built to honor Queen Victoria, the structure is incredibly reminiscent of what you would see in London. The entire thing is built in white marble, with two lions in front that reminded me of the New York Public Library on 42nd street. Inside was a small museum, with an exhibit about the history of Kolkata as well as an exhibit of paintings. Outside were gorgeous, well-kept grounds, filled with trees, small ponds and canoodling couples.

The following weekend (4/21) I went to the home of Mother Teresa. Mother House, as it is called, is tucked inside a narrow alley. I made my way inside and was greeted by a kind nun. I saw Mother Teresa's tomb, and the room she lived in. (A sign in the room said that she lived her entire life there without a fan, which, after being here in the heat, convinces me that she was a Saint.) There was also a museum that told her story and her history. She is a fascinating woman, and it was truly inspirational to read about how a young girl named Agnes from Skopje went on to go to Kolkata and gain international renown for her charity. In my opinion, Mother Teresa represents the best of religion. In a world where religion is so often linked to acts of violence or discrimination, it was heartwarming to see the good that could come from one woman following her religious calling. I had the privilege of seeing many of the Sisters of Charity, in their white saris with the blue stripe, walking around, and they all gave me a kind smile.
In addition to Mother House, I visited Nirmala Shishu Bhavan, a home for orphaned children run by the Missionary of Charity. I got to see the children, many of whom are severally disabled. Despite their disabilities, however, they all had gorgeous smiles, and laughed hysterically when I tried to do my Indian dancing for them. Overall, it was an incredibly inspirational afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment